sweet potato muffins? say no more.

muffins closeup

I've been dying to get my hands on Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook It's All Good. The book features many gluten-free and vegan recipes that actually sound appetizing. Still haven't ordered it but I found this recipe from the book and made these bad boys. Now I'm really dying to purchase it! Try this one out and tell me what you think. I'll bet you go buy the book before I get the chance to!

Recipe after the jump.


Note: I made a few modifications as I did not have almond milk or gluten-free flour on hand. I used regular milk and 1.5 cups of regular flour instead of the 2 cups of GF flour. Hoping to try the original version once I make my batch of almond milk! :)

Ingredients

  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 3/4 cup good-quality maple syrup or xylitol, plus 2 extra tablespoons for brushing the muffins
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups gluten-free flour (if the flour doesn’t include xanthan gum, add 1 teaspoon)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a paring knife or fork. Bake until soft (when a paring knife can cut through with zero resistance), about 1 hour. Set the sweet potato aside until it’s completely cool.
Peel the sweet potato, discard the skin and mash the flesh in a mixing bowl with a fork. Whisk the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup or xylitol, and vanilla into the sweet potato. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, five-spice powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and evenly distribute the muffin batter among the cups.
Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean, brushing the tops with extra maple syrup during the last 5 minutes of baking. Let the muffins cool before serving.


Happy Baking!
Hannah

0 little notes:

Post a Comment